Baby Barrett Updates

Adrian Abraham Barrett

My journey, from the womb to the world…

Journal | Welcome | Pictures

Tears Were Flowing…

While the tears were flowing, they weren’t from me. Mommy and Daddy loved on me an extra lot today, so I had nothing to cry about. Daddy got a call from my doctor this morning on his way to work. I had tests come back that showed cystic fibrosis (CF). It was very hard for daddy to come home and tell mommy about it. For those that don’t know, cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections, and also obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food. In the 1950s, few children with cystic fibrosis lived to attend elementary school. Today, advances in research and medical treatments have further enhanced and extended life for children and adults with cystic fibrosis. The median survival age is now 37, with more than 40% surviving past the age of 18.

We learned that it’s genetic, and since it is a recessive gene it requires both parents to carry the trait in order for it to be passed on to me. Even if both parents have the trait, there is a 25% chance I would have CF, a 50% chance I would just carry the gene, and a 25% chance I would not obtain the gene at all.

There is still a lot of unknowns, and tomorrow I have about four doctor appointments scheduled. My doctor was great today, calling daddy several times throughout the day to check in an make sure we were okay and to provide us more information as she learned of it. I’m sure we’ll learn more tomorrow and hope for the best.

Published by Baby Barrett, on March 24th, 2009 at 7:53 pm.